This unique and unforgettable culinary and travel experience will introduce you to South Lazio, an area, off the beaten path, boasting a stunning natural landscape with an abundance of fresh produce transformed into sumptuous dishes ready for you to enjoy.
Day 1 - City to Province
We depart from Rome and travel to Latina, with a tour and tastings at the award winning winery of Casale del Giglio.
The tour starts with a superb lunch at the restaurant of renowned international Chef Max Cotilli at Satricvm.
Continuing south we visit the ancient Abbey of Fossanova and then on to a panoramic lookout at Madonna della Rocca from where you will see many of the areas to be explored over the coming week.
Settle in to your private villa room accommodation at SarAnd Relais and then take in the stunning views which you will call home for the next seven days. Enjoy a welcome aperitivo. Pina, your host and Chef at Sarand Relais will delight you with a local Italian dinner. Our journey of discovery has begun.
- Casale del Giglio winery tour and tastings
- Lunch hosted by Max Cottilli at Satricvm
- Visit to the Abbey of Fossanova
- Madonna della Rocca panoramic views
- Sarand Relais, Aperitivo and Dinner
Day 2 – la Ciociaria
After a buffet breakfast, an adventure awaits as we venture inland to the mountains. We discover the art of cheese making from two artisans and then visit a farmer’s market showcasing fresh produce from the local sellers.
We explore the Monastery of Monte Cassino, its history and the scars from WWII.
Today’s lunch will be at Agriturismo Bertacco who specialise in the ancient grains of ‘grano monococco’, from which they produce flours to make pasta, bread, cakes and craft artisan beers. A special six course menu showing you the versatility of the grains will be served for lunch.
On our return we will stop to admire the extensive caves of Pastena before a dining experience at Ai Pozzi, a restaurant set amid the area’s ancient wells.
- Visit the cheesemakers at Antica Fattoria Crolla
- Browse the Cassino farmer’s market
- Monastery of Monte Cassino and the WWII cemetery
- Agriturismo Bertacco lunch and farm tour to discover ‘il grano monococco’.
- Stalactites of the Caves of Pastena
- Dinner at Ai Pozzi di Lenola hosted by Salvatore Zizzo who will share his stories and passion for the local area’s fresh produce
- History of La Ciociaria
Day 3 - Sun and Seas
Today we explore the coastal gems starting with Gaeta, once an important major port ruled by the Kings and Queens of the Court. Walk along Via Indipendenza, which still evokes the times of old when the seafarers would frequent the bars and inns along this historic alley.
We then visit the town’s main attractions including the spectacular Montagna Spaccata, before making our way to a secluded beach cove for lunch by the sparkling seaside.
Spend the afternoon relaxing on your very own lounge bed with umbrella or take a dip in the clear turquoise waters.
We then travel along the picturesque coast and visit the Archeological museum, villa and cave of the roman emperor Tiberius.
Wander around the old, narrow, whitewashed alleys of the charming hilltop village of Sperlonga. Dinner at a local favourite Michelin star restaurant.
- Port city of Gaeta and Via Indipendenza
- Gaeta historic town main attractions
- La Montagna Spaccata and its myths and legends
- Lunch at il Fortino by the seaside
- Relax on a sunbed lounge sipping a drink under a beach umbrella and enjoy the seaside just like the italians do
- Archeological Museum including Villa and Cave of Tiberius
- Walk the historic hilltop village of Sperlonga
- Dinner at Gli Archi – Michelin star restaurant
Day 4 – Cooking with Pina, Wine and a dinner fit for a King
After a leisurely breakfast, your host Pina will walk with you around her abundant farm, showing you the animals, vegetable patches, olive grove, vineyard and the wild herb-laden hills. After collecting this fresh produce Pina will guide you through a masterclass in local cooking which we will enjoy in the lovely gardens.
In the afternoon, we head off to tastings at a boutique winery with historic ‘roots’ founded by the Romans.
This evening’s highlight degustation dinner is at Lo Stuzzichino, where your Masterchef Francesco has had the honour of cooking for Belgian royalty, and not just the once.
- Tour of SarAnd Relais farm including the horse stables
- Collect farm produce for cooking class with Pina
- Masterclass cooking class with lunch
- Visit to Monte Cecubi with tastings and tour of this historical boutique winery
- Spectacular Sanctuary of the Madonna della Civita
- Degustation dinner at Lo Stuzzichino hosted by Masterchef Francesco Capirchio who will share his culinary journey with you
Day 5 – Feast in the Family
Family day is always a fun day. Today we explore the hilltop medieval village of Lenola and learn about its ancient origins as we visit the town’s well preserved Castello Boccia, its narrow alleys and the Scalinata della Pace, where the majestic Basilica of the Madonna del Colle takes pride of place overlooking the town.
We venture further into the hillside of Ambrifi where Lunch will consist of traditional local mouth-watering specialties enjoyed in a spectacular setting.
After lunch, a local guide will take you on an excursion through an historic area which once was the border between the Papal States and the Royal Kingdom and explain the historical significance of the border stone markers called Cippi.
We then visit an olive grove and savour the prized Itrana olive oil for which this area is famous. Dinner tonight will be a “festa in famiglia”. A local family will host you with traditional home-style cuisine.
- Meander around the picturesque village of Lenola and its main attractions
- Lunch at Collecammino with the traditional local specialties
- Guided excursion of spectacular Aurunci mountains and learn the fascinating history of the ‘Cippi’.
- Tour and tastings at the award winning olive grove of L’impronta Azienda Agricola
- A local family to entertain you with a family feast to remember
Day 6 – Castles and Buffalo Mozzarella
Our second last day in the region will be one where we relax and take in the atmosphere of the area we have come to know. We visit the town of Fondi and spend time at its main attractions including the history behind Castello Baronale and Palazzo Caetani with a ‘passeggiata’ along the Corso Appio Claudio.
A highlight visit to see how they make the area’s famous Buffalo Mozzarella.
We then make our way to a secret hideaway location in the mountains for a very long, long lunch hosted by a local family before returning to spend the evening relaxing at our Agriturismo with aperitivo, supper and some conversation.
- Visit Fondi and its Castello Baronale and Palazzo Caetani
- Enjoy la passeggiata along Corso Appio Claudio
- Tour of the town’s main attractions
- See how they make the famous Buffalo Mozzarella
- A long lunch in an idyllic location, savouring all the area’s fresh produce
- Visit to the town of Itri and its imposing Castle
- Say farewell at SarAnd Relais with Aperitivo and supper
Day 7 - Temples to the Sea
On our return to Rome, we visit Terracina and the roman Temples of Jove Anxur with the panoramic views of the land and sea below.
We spend time in the old historic town and take a stroll along the boardwalk admiring the wide sandy beaches and Monte Circeo promontory before lunch at a renowned restaurant with views of the sea.
We then travel along the coast stopping to admire the beautiful seaside town of San Felice Circeo, before arriving back in Rome early evening.
- Visit the complex of the Temples of Jupiter Anxur
- Walk the narrow streets of Terracina historic old town
- Enjoy the fresh sea air strolling along the boardwalk
- Lunch at Centosedici
- Visit San Felice Circeo seaside town
- Arrive back in Rome early evening